Friday 26 June 2015

"Is it Hard?"

"Is it hard?" - this has to be the most frequently asked question I been asked over the past couple of months. Closely followed by "How is the food?" or "Arn't you hungry all the time?". Oh and "What happens at the end of the 12 weeks?"

Well, let me dispel any worries over this that any of you may have.

1 - No. It is not hard. At all. Not in the least little bit.

However - it does take planning, forethought and preparation.

The principles are so basic that I can't imagine why it's taken me all these years to get here. It makes me wonder why more people don't adopt this style of eating, especially anyone looking to make changes to a healthier diet. I've certainly been guilty of hopping on the bandwagon of many food 'fads' or diets over the years, All resulting in somewhat short-term fixes in one way or another. 

The 'hard' part is being prepared, having lots of fresh veggies chopped and ready to use. Snacks to go. etc etc. A classic example is me coming home from work and looking for a snack. I was pondering the fridge and pantry and really all I wanted was a quick fix (cheese & biscuits or something, that I knew in reality would not last me until dinner.) Instead I quickly made an egg white omelette with ham, mozzarella cheese, sprinkled some flaxseed meal over and added some salad. It took me about 3 minutes to prepare.

2 - The food is great. The food is whatever I want it to be. Yes. Really.

I love the fact that I can skip so many aisles in the supermarket these days. My trolley is pretty much full to the brim with fresh veggies, fruits, eggs (don't forget the eggs!), dairy and meat. I still buy tins of tuna, salmon, tomatoes & legumes for convenience. Gone are the packets and as for the dreaded cereal aisle - well I think they must've taken a downturn in profits (I used to buy about 6 different varieties a fortnight!). This could easily be done on bags of pre-chopped frozen veggies too. So, again, it doesn't have to be hard.

3 - Hungry? Umm yes of course, but nothing that can't be easily fixed with a quick meal, liquid or solid.

It's ok to eat/consume (drink) multiple times a day. 6 times or more is recommended. It's not ok however to miss meals (have less than 6). This sends the wrong messages to the metabolism.
You should see the amount of food I take to work with me these days - and I only work a 5hr shift!!

I will admit that for the first 2-3 weeks, before I fully adjusted to the new habits I was hungry and cranky, as I wasn't quite getting the food options & timing quite right. However, after whinging to my PT about this, she helped me find solutions that work for me. Everyone is individual. That's where this 'programme' is so great.  Anyone can make it work and fit it into their lifestyle!

4 - The way I see it, it's no longer a 12 week programme. It's a lifestyle.

New and good habits have been formed. My body (digestive system) feels better than I can ever remember. I no have bloating or abdominal discomfort. I can satiate my hunger at any time as I am not starving myself to eat 'controlled portions'. Yet, I am losing body fat and gaining muscle tone. In fact, I've lost another 2cm of body fat this at this weeks measurements! Plus, my sugar cravings are virtually non-existent these days. It's a Win-Win I say!

Of course there are meals that I 'cheat' on. And yes, I still enjoy my red wine and dark chocolate. Coffee even. I am not virtuous. I won't let food rule my life.  But, the way I see it, if I eat like this the majority of the time, I don't have to feel guilty about the indulgences.

No comments:

Post a Comment